Monday, April 18, 2011

Last thoughts about my placement this semester.....


(Caution: might be a bit cheesey)
Above is a representative of my students that I worked with this semester. They differ individually by personally, talents, abilities, and more. In the last few weeks I have caught myself observing and appreciating their different sense of humor and mannerisms. Realizing their interesting traits and qualities has caused me to become sad because I will miss them when I leave. And because they are in fifth grade there isn’t even a possibility that I will see them in the halls of the school next semester because they will be moving to middle school. In the past I have always been in lower grades and I have been able to go back and visit to get my “fix” when I started to miss them. I have learned so many valuable things from my students this semester. One is that 5th graders really aren’t that scary after all. For the most part my experience is with the lower grades of elementary school, so when I found out in the beginning of the semester that I was in fifth grade I thought they would act like middle school kids, but they aren’t. They still have their innocence and sweetness, really not that intimidating at all. I have also learned from my students that flexibility and honesty is very important. When things didn’t go right they were able to sense if I was frustrated or stressed, so with honesty I was able to tell them how I was feeling and how I felt the lesson was going so that we could work to improve the current situation. This honesty also helped me gain respect with my students. I am so sad that this week is our official last week in the schools.

1 comment:

  1. It seems like you've learned so much this semester! I am so glad you took a chance and opened yourself to learning about a very different age group. As you discovered, they are not as different as we might think! I know they learned a lot from you.

    Thanks for all your work here throughout the semester.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete